All Marketplace health plans and many other plans must cover the a list of preventive services without charging you a copayment or coinsurance (i.e. free). This is true even if you haven’t met your yearly deductible.
In Depth: What's Covered
IMPORTANT: These services are free only when delivered by a doctor or other provider in your plan’s network.
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm one-time screening for men of specified ages who have ever smoked
- Alcohol misuse screening and counseling
- Aspirin use to prevent cardiovascular disease for men and women of certain ages
- Blood pressure screening
- Cholesterol screening for adults of certain ages or at higher risk
- Colorectal cancer screening for adults over 50
- Depression screening
- Diabetes (Type 2) screening for adults with high blood pressure
- Diet counseling for adults at higher risk for chronic disease
- Hepatitis B screening for people at high risk, including people from countries with 2% or more Hepatitis B prevalence, and U.S.-born people not vaccinated as infants and with at least one parent born in a region with 8% or more Hepatitis B prevalence.
- Hepatitis C screening for adults at increased risk, and one time for everyone born 1945 – 1965
- HIV screening for everyone ages 15 to 65, and other ages at increased risk
- Immunization vaccines for adults — doses, recommended ages, and recommended populations vary:
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Herpes Zoster
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- Influenza (flu shot)
- Varicella (Chickenpox)
- Click Here for a Full List of Preventative Care For Women
- Click Here for a Full List of Preventative Care For Children
Are the services free on short term plans?
Preventive services are free are some short-term plans. However, most require a copay or you reach your deductible first.
National General short term plans offer the richest preventive first dollar benefits if preventive coverage is a benefit you will use.
Please sign in to leave a comment.