For the year 2018, the individual mandate is still in effect. That means if you didn't have a qualified health plan for more than 10 months, you could be subject to a penalty when you file your taxes.
Avoid The Penalty, Sign Up For An ACA Plan
That being said, there are certain exemptions that could get you around the mandate, and CMS has issued additional guidance on how to claim exemptions. You should talk to a tax professional for any advice if you think you may be facing a penalty.
Possible Exemptions for 2018:
- If there was only one health insurance company in your county
- Financial hardship exemption
- Homelessness or being the victim of a fire, flood or some other natural disaster
- Your employer-offered plan was too expensive
- People who are eligible for services through an Indian health care provider
- People who are ineligible for Medicaid based on your state’s decision not to expand Medicaid coverage
Please sign in to leave a comment.