Yes, leaving your job and losing eligibility for job-based health coverage will trigger a special enrollment opportunity that lasts for 60 days. You can apply for Marketplace health plans and (depending on your income) for premium tax credits and cost sharing reductions during that period. If you enroll in COBRA coverage through your former employer, however, you will need to wait to the next Marketplace Open Enrollment period if you want to switch to a Marketplace plan.
Articles in this section
- I have COBRA coverage. Can I change to a new plan?
- What are the State Continuation rules for small businesses by state?
- Your Choosing COBRA to Avoid a Loss of Coverage
- Biden Administration Plans to Expand COBRA, ACA Premium Subsidies
- How to choose between COBRA, Obamacare, and Short-Term Insurance?
- What are the best COBRA insurance alternatives?
- What's the Best Unemployment Insurance?
- Temporary Health Insurance vs COBRA
- What Is COBRA?
- I'm Eligible for COBRA but can get a cheaper individual plan. Do I have to enroll in COBRA?