During Open Enrollment, you can sign up for a Marketplace plan even if you already have COBRA. You will have to drop your COBRA coverage effective on the date your new Marketplace plan coverage begins. After Open Enrollment ends, however, if you voluntarily drop your COBRA coverage or stop paying premiums, you will not be eligible for a special enrollment opportunity and will have to wait until the next Open Enrollment period. Only exhaustion of your COBRA coverage triggers a special enrollment opportunity.
Articles in this section
- Biden Administration Plans to Expand COBRA, ACA Premium Subsidies
- I have COBRA coverage. Can I change to a new plan?
- How to choose between COBRA, Obamacare, and Short-Term Insurance?
- What are the best COBRA insurance alternatives?
- What's the Best Unemployment Insurance?
- Temporary Health Insurance vs COBRA
- What Is COBRA?
- I'm Eligible for COBRA but can get a cheaper individual plan. Do I have to enroll in COBRA?
- If I'm Enrolled in COBRA, am I Eligible to Purchase an Individual Plan?
- I'm Leaving My Job and Will Be Eligible for COBRA. Can I Shop for Individual Coverage and Subsidies on the Marketplace Instead?