If you need to file a claim, you can download and print a medical health insurance claim form . You will find instructions on the form to help guide you.
Once you have filled out this form, mail it to the following address:
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois
P.O. Box 805107
Chicago, IL 60680-4112
If you have any questions, you can also contact us at 1-800-538-8833.
After you receive services, you have until the end of the following calendar year to submit a claim. In other words, you have until December 31, 2018 to submit a claim for services received during 2017.
When submitting a claim, it's important to include a copy of the original bill issued by your health care provider. Be sure to make copies for your records as documents sent in with your claim cannot be returned to you. Basic information to have handy when preparing a claim form includes:
- Date of service;
- Type of service;
- Dollar amounts charged by doctor or other health care provider for each service;
- Patient name;
- Member name; and
- Member identification number (found on ID card)
Follow these steps to avoid any delays in processing your claim:
- File your claim right away after receiving medical care. Waiting to file a claim may result in a denial of medical benefits.
- Give as much detail as you can. Including the original bill from your doctor or other health care provider helps. Be sure to make a copy for your records as any documents attached to your claim cannot be returned to you.
- If BCBSIL asks you for more information, please get back to us quickly.
- If signatures are needed, be sure to get the proper signatures before sending in your claim.
Check the Status of a Claim
You can check the status of a claim in one of the following ways:
- Visit the Claims Center in Blue Access for Members.
- Call the Customer Service number on the back of your ID card.
If your claim has been denied, you can file an appeal to have it reviewed again. The appeals information is located with your Explanation of Benefits (EOB) and your insurance policy. For more information about EOBs, see below.
Please sign in to leave a comment.