Part A (hospital insurance) helps pay for:
- Inpatient care in a hospital
- Care at a skilled nursing facility (SNF) after a hospital stay
- Some home health care and hospice care services
You are eligible at age 65 for Part A coverage at no cost if any of these apply to you:
- You receive or are eligible to receive Social Security benefits
- You receive or are eligible to receive Railroad Retirement Board benefits
- You may be eligible for Medicare Part A based on your spouse’s work history if:
- You are currently married and your spouse is eligible for Social Security benefits (either retirement or disability). In addition, you must have been married for at least one year before applying.
- You are divorced and your former spouse is eligible for Social Security benefits (either retirement or disability). In addition, you must have been married for at least 10 years and you must be single.
- You are widowed and you were married for at least nine months before your spouse died. In addition, you must be single.
Even if you don’t meet any of these requirements at age 65, you may be able to get Part A by paying a monthly premium. Usually you can sign up for this hospital insurance only during certain enrollment periods.
Need help picking out a Medicare Plan or getting a quote? Call us at 312-940-3986 or get a quote here.
Please sign in to leave a comment.