The Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period (MA-OEP) is another enrollment period allowing people currently enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan (MAPD or MA) an opportunity to change Medicare Advantage plans - or drop their Medicare Advantage plan, return to original Medicare Part A and Part B coverage, and join a stand-alone Medicare Part D prescription drug plan (PDP).
- Begins on January 1st and continue through March 31st - with new plan coverage beginning on the first day of the month after enrollment.
- Is only available to people already enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan.
- You cannot use the MA-OEP if you are enrolled in a stand-along Medicare Part D prescription drug plan (PDP), but you may be able to use a Special Enrollment Period to change your PDP coverage.
- Provides one additional chance to change your Medicare Advantage plan enrollment outside of the annual Open Enrollment Period (that starts on October 15th and continues through December 7th).
- May not be available for all Medicare Advantage plans in your area (see more below).
- If you want to use the MA-OEP, please call Medicare at: 1-800-633-4227 and ask a Medicare representative to help you find another Medicare Advantage plan in your area or ask to return to Original Medicare and add a stand-alone Medicare Part D plan that most economically covers your medications (representative are available 24 hours a day).