In the case of one of the following events, you can recover premium payments you have already made to BCBSIL:
- Through your right to examine the policy. You have 30 days after your policy is issued to review it. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with your health care benefits, you may return your policy and your member ID card(s) to BCBSIL. This will void your coverage. BCBSIL will refund any premium you have paid, as long as you haven't had a claim paid under this policy before the end of the 30 days.
- If the policyholder passes away. BCBSIL will refund any premiums paid in advance, following the death of a plan's primary policyholder. You can request that the refund is issued to a different payee, including the deceased's estate.
- If you overpaid for your active policy. BCBSIL will refund additional premium payments up until the end of the current month. For example, if you paid your premium in advance for the month of June, you can receive a refund up until the last day in May.
- If you ask to cancel your policy. After you cancel your policy, BCBSIL will automatically refund any payments you have made for billing periods after your termination date. You do not need to request this refund.
- If you do not pay your premium and your policy is terminated. After your policy is terminated, BCBSIL will automatically refund any payments you have made for billing periods after your termination date. This would apply if you do not pay your premium on time and do not pay your outstanding notices by the end of grace period. (For more information on grace periods, please see the What Happens if I Miss a Premium Payment? ) You do not need to request this refund.
For more information and to begin the process to recover premium payments, please call us at the number on the back of your member ID card.
Please sign in to leave a comment.